At This Point in Time

Temporarily helping a parent. Miss my life.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Ruminations Here and There

I am not exactly sure where this is going this morning. It was brought on by checking the time and realizing I had not heard Mom up and about. A quick trip downstairs and found her finished dressing. She had seemed quite tired yesterday. When I asked her about it, all she remarked was that she was tired. I think a lot of the problem is her being bored. She is limited to what she can do. It is too cold on the front porch for her to sit and watch people as she does in the spring and summer. Takes a couple of daily walks in the hospital. (Small town and her house is right next door.) She read two newspapers, has a novel going and the rest of the time works word puzzles or naps in her chair.. The TV is on mostly for noise, I think.
Her hearing is bad but she won't wear the aid available .
I do the cooking and she puts the dishes in the dishwasher, runs it and puts them away. She still does her own washing.
At almost 92 not too bad. Our biggest problem is she thinks I am ready to live that lifestyle too.

My oldest son lives in Oklahoma working for the Gov. He is in a long term relationship with a woman who has two sons that live with them. They spent 10 months with me at one time and it was ROUGH! but we all survived and are pretty friendly these days. Her oldest is 21 and has CF. For the past 8 months or so, he ends up in the hospital for treatment about every 2 weeks on average. I cannot imagine how tough that would be as a mother.

Guess I am standing on the bridge again, between the caretaking and/or nurturing bank and the must take care of me bank. Hope I am not talking myself out of a trip south.

As I said at the beginning, just not sure where this is going but hope it passes soon. smile