At This Point in Time

Temporarily helping a parent. Miss my life.

Monday, October 24, 2005

A Chilly Fall

morning. Hard frost and about 26 degrees.
I belive I will have to remove the #2 son's picture. I went to resize it at Flickr and I have none of the tools showing.

There are four types of poisonous snakes in Nebraska. I have not seen one. (yeah for me) The Timber Rattlesnake is the largest one and can get up to five foot long. The others are Pairie Rattlesnake, Western Massasauga (a small rattlesnake) and the Copperhead. They were out catching and placing radio transmitters in some Massasaugas this past week. In southeastern Nebraska there is a patch of prairie around Burchard Lake that one of the oldest wild life managed areas. Between two arms of the lake is a high ridge that is the booming ground for Prairie Chickens. There is a blind that is available on a first come basis for viewing the mating ritual. It was about 20 feet off the parking lot for that area that a Massasauga was found.
This morning in the news a girl was bitten by a copperhead in the thumb. She may lose her arm. A fellow student had brought one in a shoe box and was showing it off when she was bitten. Probably trying to pet it.
When I lived out in the country, down on the coast in Texas, tried to always remember to stay alert about snakes. Especially at night. There we had the added two bad guys, coral (I have seen a couple of them, did a fast "red and yellow kill a fellow" to make sure it was a coral snake) and the dreaded Cottonmouth Water Moccasin. They are pretty aggressive.
While cleaning the shop, that was a large metal building with easy access for anything, I found a snake skin behind some wood, it was about 4 ft long. That got my attention. I do believe it was a corn snake skin, though.