At This Point in Time

Temporarily helping a parent. Miss my life.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

It Was Nice - Part 2

My ex-hubby and I would go there for our birthdays and our anniversary. On numerous occasions Joe would send a bottle of our favorite wine to the table. Which, in those days, was a Valpolichela.
Joe’s partner was named Nick and he ran the kitchen end. They had an appetizer called Pisano’s Shrimp that was to die for. I have come close to replicating it a couple of times, but never “on the money”.

They opened another restaurant next door in an old Victorian House called La Provence. It was so cool. My favorite there was the sweetbreads and for dessert, a soufflé.

After they had been in business for a couple of years, I sent a flower arrangement on their anniversary. The next time we were in, Joe comped the whole meal saying “Now, I don’t owe you.” I had to laugh, the old country Italian code does not die.

My ex and I went overseas and we were gone four years. The next time we showed up, I said to Joe, “I don’t know if you remember...” and that was all the further I got..He said, “yes, you have been gone for four years or so, you drink Valpolichela and like Veal Marsala.” No come back for that..

La Provence is gone. The main restaurant that started it all (Pisanos), may still be there but they did branch out to other cities and other locations in San Antonio. They were in Corpus for a couple of years and then it closed there. I believe they still may be in Houston. There is one near the Quarry in San Antonio. I know Nick died a long time ago, and think Joe may have too. Now, the food is good but without the personal touch, it is not the same.
But the early years in the original location were such fun. If you were in there late finishing up a meal, you never knew who, in the local political scene might show up. The guys who were pedaling wine would be there and Nick would come out from the kitchen and sit with them. I am sure there were locals that had unsavory pasts and who knows about their present employment, in attendance. The veal came from Chicago..'nuff said there.

As an onlooker, it was fun and I miss it.