At This Point in Time

Temporarily helping a parent. Miss my life.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Ah, The Old House Cleaning Tricks

In reading Is There Anything of Interest's blog about cleaning house, it brought to mind the ways I use to do it (and should get back to) and referred to as my Games.

The 25 Minute Way.

This involved setting a timer for twenty-five minutes and working like a dervish in one room. When it rang, you moved on immediately to the next room. When you finished, it only took a few minutes to wind up what was left undone in any given room. This did not include BIG cleaning like windows etc. but the dusting, vacuuming, putting things away, mopping etc.

Until you Have to Leave the Room

Here you worked in a room until replacing something took you out of that room. Returning a book or item that belonged elsewhere. Then you worked there until replacing an items moved you on.

Involving the Family

On Saturday's when everyone had places to go I would have them give me an hour and then they were free. This also included hubby. The two rules were, Do What I Say and Do Not Speak. Now, you must have things organized in your mind for this to work. The littlest one would be instructed to empty waste cans, someone cleaning sinks, cammode, someone running the vacuum and so on. At the end of one hour, they were FREE!! Once they left, I would turn on the music, mop and wax and generally finish up. I usually cooked a special meal on those Sat. nights.

I also tried a hint from some book that said maids in hotels would go in and always clean from the left and work their way around the room. The other trick was to have a pail with all your supplies in it so you did not have to leave the room.

Now, in Nebraska, I just procrastinate..