At This Point in Time

Temporarily helping a parent. Miss my life.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Mid-week

Good news and bad news on the back forty. I was able to get the mower going yesterday and was whipping around the far back side at a pretty good clip. Poor little garter snake could not get out of the way in time. Makes me sad, as they are neat little creatures. The good news is the baby bunny got out of the way. He/she put that little head down and slipped through the grass, out of danger. Last fall had three pair of rabbits around, this spring have only seen one. There are cats that stalk the back forty doing their thing and I have found tuffs of hare hair (just had to say it) that make me think they have been successful in their hunting. When I started out last month to prepare the area for mowing, I contemplated cleaning things up to the fence line. Then I realized this was an area for the wild things to hide so just let it stay.

On today's adjenda is a road trip to another small town that has a decent sized hardware store and two, read 'em, two grocery stores plus a Mexican market. It is amazing how most people adjust to circumstances, only took me a year to slide into a form of "well, I am here, do what you can" mode and look at an eighteen mile, one way trip, as a road trip.

Some time back I mentioned a few people are trying to get the funds to restore the old opera house down in the main part of town. I finally got to see it a couple of weeks ago. It is upstairs in a commercial building on 2nd Street. Lots of work involved but a woth while project, in my opinion. Neat old stuff sitting around up there. They are having an open house Memorial Day Weekend but I should be in San Antonio by then. I hope they get a good turn out. That will be the banquet weekend for alumni/alumnae.
I wonder if they will get any support from the out of town crowd?