At This Point in Time

Temporarily helping a parent. Miss my life.

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Storms, Good and Bad

I have always like storms. Not the damage they may do, of course, but the wildness of some of them. The fact that man has something he cannot tame, helps to keep us humble.

I do not like heavy duty lightning striking around my abode, so there are limits.

When stationed in Germany in Bavaria, and a storm would roll up the valley and be trapped between the mountains peaks, I would get up and open the doors to the balcony, and either draw up a chair or plop a few pillows on the floor and watch the show. It was wonderful. The lightning streaking across the sky, sometimes striking the huge cross on the mountain peak, was thrilling to watch. Since the storm was trapped it would move back and forth between the peaks and could last for some time.Sometimes would open a bottle of champagne or wine. Ah, those were neat nights.

The storm that came here the other night was one with lightning too close for comfort but it was moving fast and that did not last long. The smell of rain washed air was great, the hail was not..Some times I go stand in the rain. I may be weird, but so be it.