At This Point in Time

Temporarily helping a parent. Miss my life.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Coffee, Please

I am back to making coffee that tastes good to me. It did take a while. I went through a period when I was sick that I did not have coffee for a couple of weeks and thought that I could just quit drinking it. I had no withdrawal symptoms at all. But, it has been one of life's little pleasures so decided to renew it. It certainly has an interesting past.

"1727: The Brazilian coffee industry gets its start when Lieutenant colonel Francisco de Melo Palheta is sent by government to arbitrate a border dispute between the French and the Dutch colonies in Guiana. Not only does he settle the dispute, but also strikes up a secret liaison with the wife of French Guiana's governor. Although France guarded its New World coffee plantations to prevent cultivation from spreading, the lady said good-bye to Palheta with a bouquet in which she hid cuttings and fertile seeds of coffee."

Also, in the 1700s a French infantry Cap. nurtured one small plant on the long journey across the Atalantic. The one plant transplanted in Martinque became the predecessor of over 19 million trees within 50 years.

I think the first plants were found in Ethiopia. And then, many, many years later, here comes Starbucks.